Peers Supports in the Emergency Department
Availability: 16 in stock
- DATE: January 10& 11, 2023 (8 hr training)
- For the 16 hour course please click here.
- Time: 12:00 PM to 4:30 PM Eastern Standard Time.
- Location: Virtual by Zoom
- Attendance for each day is required to receive 8 CEs. Must be present and on-screen for this interactive training.
- IC & RC Four Domains Awarded: TBA
- See below for more detailed information.
Superior Quality Education for Excellence!
Across the country, emergency departments are treating rising numbers of patients harmed by using alcohol, opioids, methamphetamine, and other substances. Between 2006 and 2014, emergency room visits for alcohol and substance use disorders increased about 75%. Once these individuals have been medically cleared, they are often discharged without appropriate support or treatment to address their addiction. Individuals and families are handed packages of information to sort through and make follow-up phone calls for potential treatment. With today’s understanding of addiction and recovery, we know there is only a brief window of opportunity when someone is ready and willing to move toward recovery. Today, with the rise and recognition of peer recovery coaches, more hospitals are implementing this role into their care model to improve outcomes. The Recovery coach role in the ED carries different responsibilities than in a community setting. This training addresses those roles and responsibilities.
- Understand the environment of the ED;
- Discuss why Peers are needed in the ED;
- Identify the goals of Peers working in the ED
- Identify the responsibilities of peers working in the ED alongside medical teams;
- Staying in your lane as a peer and the value of role appropriate advocacy;
- Discuss professionalism as a peer in the ED;
- Develop skills to work beside the medical team and with patients;
- Know the roles and responsibilities of the Recovery Coach working in the Emergency Department;
- Use of Active Listening and Motivational Interviewing in the ED;
- Understanding the medical team and compassion fatigue;
- Upon submission of this payment, you will receive a receipt with further enrollment instructions. Your registration is not complete until you finish the next steps listed in the receipt.
- All training will be conducted via Zoom.
- You will receive a manual and the Zoom login information 1 week prior to the training start date. Be sure to put your mailing address in the fields provided. If your address changes between now and the date of mailing, please notify us to ensure you receive your manual. Additional charges may result if not notified.
- ***Cancellations must be received within two weeks of the start date to be rescheduled or refunded. All refunds are subject to a processing fee. No exceptions.
Choices is a NAADAC Approved Provider: Individuals participating in educational programs offered by NAADAC Approved Education Providers are assured that the continuing education (CE) hours provided for each course will be accepted toward national credentialing by the National Certification Commission for Addiction Professionals (NCC AP), as well as many of the individual state licensing/certification bodies in the addiction and other helping professions.